Clarkton Bridge employed an efficient “Camelback” steel truss system for its span across the Staunton River in Charlotte and Halifax counties. Erected in 1902 by Virginia Bridge & Iron Co., of Roanoke, Clarkton was the only surviving metal truss bridge in Virginia built for highway use that was supported by steel piers, once a common engineering practice. Its name derived from the village of Clarkton, which began as a rail station and express office on the Lynchburg and Durham (now Norfolk and Western) Railroad on the large plantation of Thomas Clark. The bridge ceased steady use when, in the 1950s, the Clarkton Depot closed and the post office was moved. In 1998 the bridge was closed to vehicular traffic, and several years later, the Virginia Department of Transportation, in association with the Clarkton Bridge Alliance, rehabilitated the structure for non-vehicular use. The Clarkton Bridge was disassembled in the fall of 2018.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark