Trabue’s Tavern stands amid the sprawling suburban development of Chesterfield County as a relic of Midlothian’s busy coal-producing era. Characteristic of Southside Virginia’s vernacular architecture, the house has had a complex evolution. The oldest part, the west wing, reputedly was built ca. 1730, but the final form of the house was not achieved until an enlargement and remodeling ca. 1815. The first owners, the Trabues, descendants of area Huguenot settlers, owned and operated several nearby coalpits. Their home served as an ordinary patronized by travelers and miners alike. On the grounds are several early outbuildings, survivors of what was formerly an unusually large collection of service structures.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark