One of a declining number of rural stores left in Virginia, the well-preserved Hallsboro Store, built ca. 1885, served as a post office (until 1962) and general store, as well as a community center for generations. Fronting the tracks of the Norfolk-Southern (formerly Southern, and originally Richmond-Danville) Railroad, the store attracted rail passengers—a depot with a waiting room and platform that once stood near the store was razed in the 1950s—and employees of a tannery and lumber mill operated by the store’s owners. The store’s interior still reveals the characteristic arrangement of space in rural stores of the era: walls were lined with shelves for retail items; dry goods were located to the right of the front entrance, while grocery and hardware counters were on the left; the post office counter was in the front corner. Located at the intersection of Mt. Hermon and Hallsboro roads in southern Chesterfield County, the two-story frame structure, with a full-width porch and a residential quarters for a storekeeper/postmaster on its upper floor, is capped with a slate hipped roof and ornamented with bracketed eaves.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark