This country church is distinguished by its gaunt stepped-parapet gables and the pair of small Doric columns composing a naive but effective interpretation of a portico in muris. Wickliffe Church was built in 1846 to replace an earlier church that burned. The church served the Episcopal families in the northeastern part of Clarke County, many of whom were descendants of prominent Tidewater families. It preserved the name of its predecessor church which honored John Wycliffe, who first translated the Bible into English. Declining membership resulted in the merger of the church with Grace Episcopal Church, Berryville in 1918. Still a consecrated house of worship, the building is used for an annual homecoming service. This simple interior remains almost untouched by the liturgical reforms of the late 19th century, exhibiting the low-church proclivities of Virginia’s gentry.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark