Located in Clarke County, Stone’s Chapel traces back to the late 1700s when the area was part of Frederick County. Starting with an earlier, now-vanished wooden church, Stone’s Chapel has been the home to both German- and English-speaking parishioners served by Lutheran, German Reformed, and Presbyterian ministers. The current brick building was constructed in 1848, likely in a vernacular Greek Revival style, by a multi-denominational community. Through the end of the 1800s, Lutheran, German Reformed, and Presbyterian congregations—the primary Protestant groups that dominated in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley—shared the church. The cemetery and church thereby reflect the heritage of the German and Scots-Irish settlers who moved into the northwestern portion of Clarke from Maryland and Pennsylvania following the end of the American Revolution. The building also evokes early Virginia history when less affluent Protestant denominations had to pool their resources to construct and maintain churches and cemeteries. In 1886, Stone’s Chapel Presbyterian Church was established and the German Reformed congregation dissolved, as did the Lutheran congregation in 1899. By 1905, the improved financial condition of the church and its congregants resulted in the addition of a Sabbath room and a vestibule tower, and the installation of memorial stained-glass windows in the sanctuary. The oldest marked burials in the church cemetery date to 1816.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark