Originally called The Meadow, Huntingdon is characterized by rolling pastures bordered with the Chapel Rural Historic District region’s distinctive stone walls. The commodious, formally proportioned, limestone farmhouse was erected in 1830 by John Evelyn Page, third son of John and Maria Horsemanden Byrd Page. Page’s parents moved to the area in 1784, during the generation-long migration by members of landed Tidewater families to property held in the state’s northern counties. Both the original five-bay house and the single-pile ell added ca. 1840, remain unaltered from their time of construction, preserving original, late-Federal woodwork. The farm, as well as the entire area, was the scene of considerable Civil War activity from 1862 to 1864. Union troops burned Huntingdon’s large barn in 1862 but the house escaped damage. An original smokehouse and ice pit remain on the property.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia