Stony Creek Plantation is likely the oldest building in the county. The original section of the T–shaped frame house is a rare surviving example of a mid-18th-century, center-hall plan, story-and-a-half house. It has massive Flemish-bond chimneys, small dormers, and many of its original exterior window shutters. In 1872, a two-story section was added perpendicular to the original house. This addition facilitated the retention of many of the original interior features of the older section— an elegant, but diminutive closed string stair with turned balusters and paneled doors with simple foliated hinges. The roof of the new section covered and preserved a portion of the old roof with one center dormer that remained intact for more than 130 years. The dormer still has its shingles attached in a feathered pattern where the dormer roof intersects the main roof. Stony Creek Plantation presents an extraordinary opportunity to study colonial construction methods.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark