Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

028-0008 Cherry Walk

Cherry Walk
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 12/14/1982

NRHP Listing Date 02/10/1983

DHR's Virginia Board of Historic Resources easement

NPS property number 83003280

The outbuildings, farm buildings, and residence at Cherry Walk form an unusually complete Tidewater plantation complex of the middling class, providing a rare, essentially undisturbed picture of a vanished life-style. With its gambrel roof, plain interior, and unadorned brick walls, the dwelling house is a characteristic example of late 18th-century eastern Virginia architecture, built ca. 1795 for Carter Croxton, whose family had settled there in 1739. The outbuildings include two dairies, a smokehouse, privy, and kitchen. The farm buildings consist of an early frame barn, a plank corncrib, and a late 19th-century blacksmith shop. The buildings, erected over a long span of time, illustrate various rural construction techniques. The entire complex has been carefully restored by its present owners who are currently restoring the 18th-century garden.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018