Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

028-5030 Millers Tavern Rural Historic District

Millers Tavern Rural Historic District
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 12/15/2016

NRHP Listing Date 06/05/2017

NPS property number SG100001040

The Millers Tavern Rural Historic District covers 3,619 acres on the western border of Essex County, and a small portion of the district extends into King and Queen County.  The district consists of buildings, structures, and archaeological sites situated on small and medium-sized farm fields, defined by tree lines, and the Piscataway Creek and its many branches. The district tells the story of a rural Tidewater community’s growth and change from its settlement by Europeans in the late 1700s through its evolution into the latter 20th century. Among the district’s historic houses are five late 18th-century dwellings, with similar raised brick basements, large exterior brick chimneys, and side-gambrel roofs with steeply pitched lower slopes. Early 19th-century structures include mills, churches, stores and other buildings that commonly arose to support a planter economy of the antebellum era. Late 19th and early-20th century properties, including the 1893 Beulah Baptist Church, are associated with African Americans who remained in the area after the Civil War to establish their own farmsteads. Bounding the district are historic roadways, some of which began as Native American trails.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated August 29, 2018