A landmark along the Georgetown Pike, Cornwell Farm’s residence is a one of Fairfax County’s few surviving examples of antebellum plantation architecture. Built in 1831 for John Jackson, the house displays, with its Georgian outline, the architectural conservatism prevalent among many of the region’s landowners. The Flemish-bond brickwork of the façade is exceptionally well-crafted and is comparable to that found on the finest town houses of Alexandria or Georgetown. Union soldiers bivouacked on the grounds during the Civil War, and prior to the restoration of the house in 1936, the names of soldiers from several northern states could be seen inscribed on the interior walls. Despite heavy suburban development in the vicinity, Cornwell Farm retains a rural setting. The place takes its present name from B. F. Cornwell, who purchased the property after the Civil War.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark