Built around 1858 and mixing Federal and Greek Revival-style architectural details, Bloomfield is one of the last remaining late-period pre-Civil War brick farmhouses in northwestern Fairfax County. The two-story house was constructed for Martha Mead Carper. During the Civil War, both Union and Confederate soldiers camped on the property at various times. In 1941, the property was sold out of the Carper-Hammond families, who had owned it for about 125 years. In 1953, the property was purchased by Frank and Mildred Hand. The Hands called the house Holly Knoll, which it is commonly known as today. Frank Hand was active in the local history community and in 1968 was a member of the Fairfax County Landmarks Commission, which later became the Fairfax County History Commission. In 1968, the widening of Leesburg Pike (Route 7) destroyed many of the older residences along the heavily traveled road. Bloomfield, which sits far back from the road and right-of-way, was spared.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark