The intersection commonly known as Langley Fork retains its historic identity and appearance in a region that has been subjected to intense modern development. During the 18th century the fork marked the intersection of Sugarlands Rolling Road (now Georgetown Pike) and Little Falls Road (now Chain Bridge) in western Fairfax County. It includes an assemblage of local vernacular buildings scattered among large leafy lots. Six structures form the nucleus of the Langley Fork Historic District: the Langley Ordinary, built ca. 1850; the mid-19th-century Langley Toll House; Gunnell’s Chapel, built after 1865 for a black Methodist congregation; the Friends Meeting House, erected in 1853; the Mackall house, now the site of Happy Hill Country Day School; and Hickory Hill, once the residence of Robert F. Kennedy, U. S. Attorney General under President John F. Kennedy. In the 19th century Langley Fork was a major turnpike junction for northern Virginia. During the Civil War, Union General McCall of the Pennsylvania Reserves made Langley Ordinary his headquarters.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark