For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 07/02/1997
NRHP Reference Number 97001075
Thermo-Con House was built in 1949 and is the only International Style building at Fort Belvoir in southern Fairfax County. It was designed by E. S. Henderson of the renowned industrial architectural firm of Albert Kahn Associates of Detroit, Michigan, and was constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers as an experimental structure to test an innovative cementitious material known as ”Thermo-Con.” The effort was an attempt to bring quality standardized housing to all army posts after World War II and to test the suitability of Thermo-Con in the mass production of lightweight houses. The Thermo-Con House may be the only one of this type of design and material built by the Army Corps of Engineers in the United States.
[VLR Listed Only]
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: July 15, 2022