Virginia State Seal Virginia Department of Historic Resources

030-0020 Vint Hill Farms Station Historic District

Vint Hill Farms Station Historic District
Photo credit: Kayla Halberg, 2021

*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 09/23/2021

Established in 1942, Vint Hill Farms Station (VHFS) Historic District is nationally significant as a World War II and Cold War era U.S. Army intelligence operations and monitoring station. Located in Fauquier County but within proximity to the Army’s central intelligence headquarters at Arlington Hall and Washington, DC, the 126-acre facility’s rural setting was an ideal place to intercept and decode messages and perform cryptanalysis during WWII. One the most important instances of such (declassified) wartime activities occurred November 10, 1943, when Army Private Leonard Mudloff intercepted and deciphered coded messages from the Japanese Ambassador in Berlin to the Minister of Foreign Affairs in Tokyo. The message revealed details about components of the “Atlantic Wall,” Nazi Germany’s system of coastal defenses and fortifications, and discussed German troop dispositions to the rear. That information influenced the Allies’ planning for the D-Day invasion at Normandy in June 1944. Importantly, Japanese Americans were trained in cryptanalysis and stationed at VHFS during the war. Women’s Army Corp members also were stationed there and served, initially, as clerical staff and later as cryptanalysts, mathematicians, and linguists. During the Cold War, VHFS grew steadily and continued important U.S. intelligence collection and analysis—although much of that Cold War activity remains classified. The VHFS historic district’s period of significance spans from 1942 to 1974, when its Cold War-era wide-band extraction activities ceased. But the installation remained an essential post for the storage of Army intelligence material through its closure in 1997. Fifty historic resources, including 40 buildings, two sites, and eight structures, contribute to the district. These consist primarily of one-story industrial and commercial military buildings, along with two large residential barracks, and agricultural structures repurposed first for military, then later commercial use.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark


Updated: September 23, 2021