Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

030-0093 North Wales

North Wales
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 03/17/1999

NRHP Listing Date 06/29/1999

NPS property number 99000726

North Wales is a 1,288-acre estate in the hunt country of central Fauquier County. Falmouth merchant William Allason established a thriving plantation and built the Georgianstyle stone house on the property sometime between 1776-1796. North Wales remained a working plantation for six generations of the HooeAllason families. Beginning in 1914, however, it was transformed into a gentry estate for thoroughbred horse breeding by its two prestigious owners, Edward M. Weld and Walter P. Chrysler, Jr. Weld and Chrysler bred horses for steeplechase, foxhunting, and high-stakes Kentucky Derby racing. They hired nationally renowned architects Arthur Little and Herbert W C. Browne of Boston to design the Colonial Revival-style stone additions to the mansion as well as the carriage house, equestrian center, outlying stables, tenant houses, and landscaping. In 1947, Chrysler probably consulted Washington Reed of Williamsburg for improvements to the buildings and grounds. North Wales remains today a well-preserved horse farm of the early to mid-20th century.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018