Built as Stover’s Store in 1845, Heflin’s Store stands approximately ten miles northeast of Warrenton in the Fauquier County village known as Little Georgetown. In 1845, Charles Stover hired stonemason John M. Fry to build the community’s first store there at the major crossroads of the Thoroughfare Gap Road and the road from Georgetown to The Plains and Warrenton. With its gable front facing into the village and toward the mill, the combination store and house was constructed of stone rather than of the typical wood or brick. Heflin’s Store also retains its original form without a larger commercial or residential addition. It provided daily necessities for farmers and travelers along the highways and the nearby Manassas Gap Railroad after 1852. The prominent location of the Heflin’s Store above the town gristmill allowed better retailing of the A. F. Stover and C. Stover Flour brands as well as merchandise imported through Alexandria.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark