030-5166

New Baltimore Historic District

VLR Listing Date

12/03/2003

NRHP Listing Date

02/11/2004

NRHP Reference Number

04000044

The 88-acre New Baltimore Historic District, located about five miles north of Warrenton off U.S. Route 29 in northern Fauquier County, developed as a 19th-century crossroads community centered on a mill and a tavern. The town’s position at the junction of the old road from Warrenton to Alexandria (Old Alexandria Turnpike) and two smaller roads made it a commercial center for trade being conducted in several directions. When U.S. Route 29 bypassed the community in the 1920s, many of the historic resources and setting of New Baltimore were consequently preserved. Most buildings in the district date from the 1820s to the mid-20th century. They include James Hampton’s Tavern (Ball’s Inn, pictured above), vernacular log dwellings, houses with subdued Victorian detailing, a school, a store, and Colonial Revival and Craftsman Bungalow dwellings, as well as an early-20th-century, one-lane, concrete slab bridge across South Run.

Last Updated: June 2, 2023

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

For additional information Read

Nomination Form

030-5180

Silver Hill Baptist Church and School

Fauquier (County)

030-5932

African American Resources in Fauquier County, Virginia, 1865–1973

(MPD) Multiple Property Document

030-5917

Upperville Colt & Horse Show Grounds

Fauquier (County)