The Morgantown Historic District is located at the junction of Freestate Road and Mount Nebo Church Road, two miles south of Marshall in Fauquier County. The crossroads community was created after William Morgan deeded land to several former slaves during the 1870s. The name of the community probably derives from this landholder. Although Morgantown is an unincorporated village that was never officially named, the word Morgantown appears in state land tax books as early as 1876. The Morgantown Historic District contains a concentration of historic buildings that are not only the oldest in the village, but well represent dwellings and institutional buildings typical of Reconstruction-era African American rural communities. All the buildings are vernacular and were probably constructed by local residents.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark