Western View is a rare example of a dwelling that evolved from a two-room cottage to a two-part house whose final form makes no attempt to present a sophisticated ensemble. The earlier portion, built ca. 1790 by the William Henley family, still exemplifies a simple, rural dwelling of the Virginia Piedmont. Its plastered walls, woodwork, and handsome chimney with the remnants of a pent closet are more finely crafted than similar early Fluvanna County houses. The 1824 brick Greek Revival section, added by Catherine Johnson, is marked by the simple elegance of its proportions and fine workmanship. The chimney of a kitchen building and a family cemetery are also on the property.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark