Abingdon Parish was formed in 1655 to minister to the residents of lower Gloucester County. The present Abingdon Church, the parish’s second, was built ca. 1755 and is one of Virginia’s most refined colonial structures. Making use of a cruciform plan, one reserved for more important churches, the building is distinguished by its superb brickwork, especially the molded brick doorways. Although its interior was damaged by Federal troops during the Civil War and was remodeled during the course of repairs, much of the fabric is original, including the galleries, sections of wainscoting, window sash, portions of the altarpiece, and part of the pulpit. The church became inactive in the early 1800s as the result of the disestablishment. Episcopalians reoccupied the building in 1826, and have had continued services to the present. A restoration of the interior of Abingdon Church to its colonial appearance was accomplished in the 1980s.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark