This rounded outcropping in the Greene County countryside marked the terminus of the westernmost boundary of the 24,000-acre Octonia Grant. The grant was made in 1722 by Lieutenant Governor Alexander Spotswood to eight Virginians: Bartholomew Yates, Lewis Latane, John Robinson, Jeremiah Clowder, Harry Beverley, Christopher Robinson, William Stanard, and Edwin Thacker. The grant, some two miles wide and twenty miles long, began in the east on the Rapidan River near Spicer’s Mill in Orange County. The original grant lapsed for want of settlement and was regranted in 1729 to Robert Beverley, son of Harry Beverley. The Octonia Stone is still identified by its mark, a figure eight composed of two nearly perfect circles topped by a cross.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark