John Beadles, a Revolutionary War militia captain, acquired 437 acres of land at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Greene County in 1788. According to tradition, Beadles had the two-story, log, hall-parlor-plan house built about the time of his marriage (1788 or 1789) to Lurania Miller. The Beadles House was built of chestnut and poplar logs, joined with full- and half-dovetail notches. Important early features survive, including Flemish- and English-bond chimneys, board partitions, batten doors, beaded ceiling joists, a boxed winder stair, Georgian and vernacular Greek Revival mantels, and hand-wrought hardware including HL hinges with leather washers. Because the interior walls have survived virtually intact, they offer a rare opportunity to study late 18th-century construction. Later, wings were added to the rear and a Craftsman-style porch to the front of the Beadles House.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark