The Gothic Revival cottage of Seaton, set off by its scalloped dormer bargeboards and the crenelated parapet of its small front porch, was the creation of the Halifax master builder Josiah Dabbs. Seaton was completed in 1857 for William M. Howerton, son of tobacco entrepreneur Philip Howerton. The Halifax County house illustrates the popularity of the Gothic style among the planter class just prior to the Civil War. A two-story wing was added in 1887. At the same time the parlor was remodeled with the installation of an early Jardine pipe organ salvaged from a local church and here framed by an ornate Moorish-style wooden screen. Preserved on the grounds are remnants of 19th-century romantic landscaping as well as several early outbuildings, including a large 1887 carriage house. Seaton remains the home of Howerton descendants and preserves many early decorations, such as carpeting, curtains, and furnishings.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark