Located in northeastern Henrico County, Beth Elon is an exceptionally well-documented Queen Anne-style house that exhibits the influence of architectural design books. It was built about 1900 by Leslie Fletcher Watson and his wife, Laura Woodruff Watson. The Watsons were well–known musicians, composers, and music teachers in the Richmond area from 1884 until 1933. They were early associates in the American Guild of Organists. Laura Watson was among the earliest women certified by the guild and the only woman from the Richmond area to achieve certification. Leslie Watson composed at least 22 pieces of music for the organ that were published by Lorenz of Dayton, Ohio, in The Organist, a popular publication that was used in churches all over America. Both Leslie and Laura Watson had lengthy careers as organists with churches in Richmond and also gave private lessons for many years. Leslie Watson taught music at Richmond’s John Marshall High School and helped to develop music courses for the public school system.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark