Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

046-0026 Four Square

Four Square
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 04/17/1979

NRHP Listing Date 07/26/1979

NPS property number 79003047

One of southeastern Virginia’s best collections of domestic outbuildings and early farm buildings is preserved on this Isle of Wight plantation. The two-story, L shaped house was built in 1807 for the Woodley family on land they had owned since the late 17th century. Its generous proportions and robust interior woodwork make the house representative of the regions’s more prosperous early 19th-century homesteads. The domestic outbuildings consist of a cook house, dairy, smokehouse, and slave house. The farm buildings include an early granary of log construction. The archaeological sites of a number of other subsidiary buildings remain scattered among the standing structures. A family member once described Four Square in its heyday, when all of its early buildings were standing, as being “like a busy village.”


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018