Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

046-0086 William Scott Farmstead

William Scott Farmstead
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 04/17/1990

NRHP Listing Date 01/25/1991

NPS property number 90002194

Preserving the sense of continuity and sense of place so strongly associated with Tidewater Virginia, the William Scott Farmstead centers on a brick plantation house where many generations have left their mark. The dwelling’s core, constructed in finely crafted Flemish bond with glazed headers, was likely built sometime after 1740 by William Scott. It apparently was enlarged to a two-story structure in the late 18th century by Scott’s son, also named William Scott. The house has had subsequent modifications and additions, but maintains a venerable 18th century character. The interior retains early paneled doors and sections of paneled trim. In the basement is an original cooking fireplace. Around the house is an important collection of little-altered early 19th century ancillary structures, among which are a quarters building, kitchen, smokehouse, and a barn/stable.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated November 14, 2018