One of two remaining Virginia colonial churches with a true Greek Cross plan and two tiers of windows, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church was constructed in 1766 and is the third church to serve its parish. The simplicity of its exterior, relieved only by its fine brickwork and modillion cornice, make the building more akin architecturally to English dissenter chapels of the period than to the richer Georgian churches of the colony. Although the church fell derelict after the disestablishment, it was renovated as a school by 1813 and by 1830 was returned to the Episcopalians. As a result of this unsettled period, the present woodwork, both inside and out, is mostly 19th century. St. Paul’s Episcopal Church preserves its rural King George County setting. The communion service of 1721 and a 1762 Bible are treasured possessions of the parish.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark