Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

048-0026 Woodlawn Historic and Archaeological District

Woodlawn Historic and Archaeological District
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 10/16/1990

NRHP Listing Date 01/03/1991

DHR's Virginia Board of Historic Resources easement

NPS property number 90002012

This district encompasses Woodlawn plantation, assembled in the early 18th century by Col. Thomas Turner. The earliest portion of the present house, the east wing, was built for the Turners ca. 1790. The main part, built around 1841, and continued the traditional rectangular, hipped-roof format of the area’s larger colonial dwellings. Adjacent to the house are two outbuildings and a slave house. Intact elements of the antebellum plantation landscape are the field system, the farm road network, a drainage ditch network, and various outbuilding sites. Also on the plantation is an important series of Indian archaeological sites including what may be a palisaded enclosure within a more broadly distributed village along the Rappahannock. Many of the artifacts relate to the early 17th century when various groups of the Powhatan Chiefdom were slowing moving west, distancing themselves from the European settlements.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018