VLR Listing Date


NRHP Listing Date


NRHP Reference Number


Dixon is set amidst a flat landscape of farmland that has remained nearly unchanged for over two hundred years. Located on the east side of the Mattaponi River, the house and setting evoke an era when poor overland travel routes made waterways the only reliable means of transportation in Virginia. The residence is a classic Virginia frame, five-bay, symmetrical dwelling with a central hall flanked by single rooms on each floor. It was built in 1793, after Richard Dixon, in 1790, purchased the property on which an earlier house stood. The current house is the only surviving historic building on this former plantation that records indicate once had a detached kitchen, dairy, smokehouse, barn, wharf, and cemetery. The restored 1793 house design features end walls of Flemish-bond brick with interior chimneys, a gambrel roof, and original interior woodwork including a paneled fireplace wall in the parlor. In the 1950s, one-room, two-story wings were built on either end and are now connected by curved hyphens with a simple blind colonnade.  A fire in the spring of 2021 completely destroyed Dixon.

Last Updated: June 2, 2023

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

For additional information Read

Nomination Form


Chief Otho S. and Susie P. Nelson House

King and Queen (County)


Bruington Rural Historic District

King and Queen (County)


Millers Tavern Rural Historic District

Essex (County)