For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 06/19/1973
NRHP Listing Date 07/24/1973
NRHP Reference Number 73002026
Named for its wooded promontory, the Mattaponi River plantation of Holly Hill was established in 1784 by Moore Fauntleroy from land that was formerly part of Ring’s Neck, a property owned in the late 17th century by Joseph Ring, clerk of York County. The present house, a stately work, was built in the second decade of the 19th century for Fauntleroy’s son, Samuel Griffin Fauntleroy. In form and details the L-shaped house varies little on the exterior from dwellings erected in the region over a half century earlier, thus illustrating eastern Virginia’s architectural continuity and conservatism. Like its predecessors, Holly Hill has a symmetrical five-bay façade, relatively unadorned brick walls, and a hipped roof with modillion cornice. The interior preserves its original restrained Federal woodwork. The King and Queen County estate remained in the Fauntleroy family until 1946.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: July 23, 2021