As an example of the evolution of race-based segregated education, the Sharon Indian School served as a center of education for the Upper Mattaponi Tribe for more than 50 years. Before the integration of Virginia schools in the 1960s, Sharon provided a primary and limited secondary education, forcing students to attend other Native American, private, or public institutions, usually outside Virginia, to obtain high school diplomas. In 1919, the King William County School Board built Sharon, a one-room frame building, and the students’ families provided the furniture. The county replaced the original school with the current brick structure in 1952, though archaeological remains of the 1919 school are still intact. As a symbol of tribal initiative and determination, Sharon Indian School is a reminder of a national struggle for Indian parents to see their children educated, and constitutes one of the lesser-known chapters of the national narrative reflected in the landmark 1954 Brown v. Board of Education Supreme Court desegregation decision.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia
Copyright © 2023. All Rights Reserved | Website by CURE