With its rectangular footprint, simple architectural embellishments, and large windows, Lanesville Christadelphian Church in King William County is a fine example of a vernacular rural Virginia church building from the late 1800s. The interior is an open room featuring original wood flooring, wainscoting, window and door trim, lighting fixtures, wood pews, and a gently arched ceiling. The Christadelphian sect arose in the 1840s through the teachings of Englishman Dr. John Thomas who emphasized personal interpretation of biblical scripture. Virginia theologian Dr. Lemuel Edwards led around 16 adherents of Thomas to build a meetinghouse, Zion, in 1855 at Acquinton. After the Civil War, Thomas visited Virginia, with extended stays at Zion, which grew to upwards of 60 or more members. The Christadelphians built the Lanesville church building around 1875. By 1964, church membership had dissolved.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark