For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 01/18/1983
NRHP Listing Date 08/11/1983
NRHP Reference Number 83003286
The Lancaster Court House Historic District’s principal element is the 1861 brick courthouse, built by Edward O. Robinson. Its Tuscan portico was added in 1937. The courthouse complex includes the former jail and old clerk’s office, both dating from the 18th century. A ca. 1800 tavern, mid-19th-century post office, a Carpenter Gothic church, late-19th century store, and several detached 19th- and early-20th-century dwellings complete the linear village. Nearly free of modern intrusions, the Lancaster Court House Historic District maintains a harmony of scale, color, texture, and materials, all within a larger agrarian setting. The Lancaster County seat was established at this location in 1740.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: September 7, 2022