The Buffalo Springs Historical Archaeological District preserves the remains of a rare Southside springs resort in Mecklenburg County, known alternatively as Buffalo Lithia Springs or Buffalo Mineral Springs. While such resorts became an important part of Virginia life in the early 19th century, most of the popular resorts in Virginia arose in the mountain region of the western part of the state. Begun as a tavern in 1811, the Buffalo Lithia Springs provided a source of popular bottled water and became the center of a resort that survived into the 1930s. Between 1946 and 1953, the resort complex became incorporated in the development of John Kerr Dam and Buggs Island Lake. Consisting of 55 archaeological elements, the Buffalo Springs Historical Archaeological District also contains two notable buildings–the circa 1800 Shelton House and a historic bottle storage building.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark