The O.H.P. Tanner House, located near LaCrosse in Mecklenburg County, is a Georgian-style residence that dendrochronology indicates dates back to 1769. A major remodeling, ca. 1820, likely included construction of the wood-shingled gambrel roof and installation of interior woodwork, whose historic painted, grained and marbleized finishes remain intact. The rear wing was added ca. 1923 (based on dates on newspapers used to insulate the flooring). The house was abandoned for decades and in danger of collapse when it was moved and then painstakingly restored. The house displays unaltered architectural craftsmanship in an excellent state of preservation and features a foundation and two chimneys constructed of fieldstone. The house is known locally as the Old Courthouse, and is now located on a corner of the 320-acre Bracey-Hines Farm.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark