The present and second church of Christ Church Parish In Middlesex County was completed in the 1720s. Alexander Graves served as its mason, and John Hipkins, Sr., as its carpenter. Among its patrons were the Wormeleys of Rosegill. Although of modest size, the church has records that show that the interior was richly appointed and had a chancel screen. The building was abandoned after the disestablishment and fell into ruin; only its Flemish-bond brick walls survived. The parish was revived in 1840, and the Christ Church was restored to use in 1843. In 1921 Christchurch School, a boys’ preparatory school, was established nearby. The church since has served as both the school chapel and the local Episcopal parish church. The interior of Christ Church was restored in the 1980s under the direction of architect James Scott Rawlings. The churchyard contains an outstanding collection of colonial tombstones, the most impressive ones marking the graves of Wormeley family members.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark