Oak Grove’s plantation house is situated in a commanding position at the tip of a peninsula with a sweeping vista of the Chesapeake Bay. Built in several stages, the oldest section is the gambrel-roof core which dates from the mid-18th century when the place was owned by John Haggoman. Additions made in 1811, 1840, and the 1940s give the house the evolutionary quality typical of the region, where the various generations of owners are reflected in the fabric of their dwellings. Original woodwork remains in each of the three early sections, including a paneled chimneypiece in the colonial part and intricately detailed Federal trim in the 1811 section. Oak Grove’s 18th-century-style garden, designed by Richmond landscape architect Charles Gillette, was laid out in 1942. Among the early outbuildings are a smokehouse and an office, both of frame construction.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark