Winona is one of only two pre-Georgian houses in America to preserve Jacobean diagonally-set chimney stacks. Like the other example, Bacon’s Castle in Surry County, Winona employs three stacks above a massive, exterior-end chimney breast. Such chimneys were a popular form on both vernacular and sophisticated buildings in Jacobean England but were used only rarely in the New World, probably because they were difficult to construct and were fashionable at a time when few permanent buildings were being erected here. Remnants of foundations projecting from the west end of the house suggest that Winona may originally have been a symmetrical building. The construction date has not been precisely determined, but it probably was built after 1681, the year Mathew Patrick acquired a reversionary interest in the property. Winona is situated at the mouth of Hungar’s Creek in Northampton County, facing the Chesapeake Bay.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark