For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 09/11/2002
NRHP Listing Date 11/22/2002
NRHP Reference Number 02001375
Wall Brook Farm is located in Virginia’s early Massanutton (or Massanutten) settlement, begun in the 1720s by German and Swiss settlers who were attracted to the level fertile land along the South Fork of the Shenandoah River in central Page County. By 1758, the year the settlement was in conflict with Native Americans, Abraham and Barbara Brubaker had erected a dwelling on the site of the present house. A two-story, Federal-style brick dwelling built around 1824 by their son John Brubaker, Sr., occupies the site now. The house on Wall Brook Farm is notable for its diapering and other decorative brickwork, interior painted borders of flowers and swags, and a number of finely crafted mantels. The house’s central passage is unusually wide and may have been used for religious services. Extending from the house is a stone icehouse that may have formed the basement level of a detached kitchen or slave dwelling and appears to be older than the main house. Nearby stands a stone meat house with a washhouse addition, a family cemetery, a circa 1870 frame bank barn, and a circa 1950 dairy barn and milk house. The property passed to the Long family, who in the mid-20th century engaged in dairy farming. Wall Brook Farm takes its name from the stone walls that line Massanutton Creek in front.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: November 4, 2021