Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

069-0017 Heiston-Strickler House

Heiston-Strickler House
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 04/18/1978

NRHP Listing Date 11/16/1978

NPS property number 78003037

On a bank above the south fork of the Shenandoah River, the Heiston¬Strickler house, also known as the Old Stone House, is among the best preserved of Page County’s Germanic dwellings. The unadorned structure was built ca. 1790 either for Jacob Heiston or his son Abraham and is owned by their descend¬ants. The three room floor plan, vaulted cellar, two bay facade, and hillside setting are all attributes inherited from central European prototypes and introduced by settlers of Germanic origin moving from Pennsylvania. Evi¬dence of English influence is shown in the use of common rafter framing and end chimneys rather than principal purlin framing and a center chimney, the latter fea¬tures being more characteristic of German houses. The house under¬went alterations in the early 19th century, but the original plan is evident, and much of its original plain woodwork survives.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018