Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

069-0105 Strickler-Louderback House

Strickler-Louderback House
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 09/13/2000

NRHP Listing Date 11/22/2000

NPS property number 00001441

Strickler-Louderback House was built in 1852 for David and Polly Strickler and their large family on a bluff overlooking the Shenandoah River in southern Page County. The two-story brick dwelling features notable architectural features including hybrid Federal/Greek Revival mantels and traces of vernacular decorative finishes such as graining and marbling. In form and detail, the house illustrates the persistence of the Federal style in the domestic architecture of Page County at a time when much of Virginia had embraced the Greek Revival style. Later occupied by the Kibler and Foltz families, in 1914 the house was acquired by the Louderbacks, who added Craftsmanstyle stonework to the house and yard.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018