Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

069-0120 John Beaver House

John Beaver House
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 03/20/1979

NRHP Listing Date 06/22/1979

NRHP Reference Number 79003065

A rare decorative design of lozenges formed of glazed headers in the facade brickwork distinguishes this Valley farmhouse. Built 1825-26 for John Beaver, the two story dwelling combines architectural elements from both Continental and Anglo-American vernacular building traditions. The decorative brickwork, double entry, and four bay facade are related to German house forms. The hall/parlor plan and plain Federal woodwork are more standard eastern Virginia features. John Beaver’s wife, Nancy Strickler Beaver, was a descendant of Abraham Strickler, one of the Shenandoah Valley’s first settlers. A two-story ell with two-level galleries was added in the late 19th century. The house long stood in neglected condition but has been handsomely restored in recent years. A contemporary two-story smokehouse and a one-story wash house survive on the grounds.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 20, 2020