A relic of western Virginia’s once important iron industry, the Catherine Furnace was constructed in 1836 in the tapered square shape typical of iron furnaces of the period. The Page County furnace produced high quality pig iron used for shells in both the Mexican and Civil wars. It went out of blast in 1887 and stood abandoned until its purchase in the 20th century by the federal government as part of what is now the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests. The structure is maintained today by the U. S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service as one of Virginia’s best examples of a formerly prevalent industrial form.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark