Located on a ridge above the Dan River in Pittsylvania County, Oak Ridge is a Greek Revival/Classical Revival house with many notable stylistic and decorative features. The house was built around 1840 for planter George Adams and his wife, Justina. The interior is richly embellished with ornamental plasterwork, mahogany-grained doors, and marbled baseboards and stair risers. A monumental Doric portico was added to the front in the early-20th-century. The Adams’s daughter Emma married Dr. John R. Wilson whose doctor’s office still stands on the grounds. Also on the Oak Ridge property are an early kitchen, a carriage house, a log root cellar, and log and frame secondary dwellings. An extensive garden with sunken sections, geometric boxwood plantings, and large magnolias and cedars has developed continuously since the antebellum period.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark