Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

072-0013 Emmanuel Episcopal Church

Emmanuel Episcopal Church
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 12/12/1989

NRHP Listing Date 12/27/1990

NPS property number 90001924

A storybook country church, Emmanuel stands on land donated to Southam Parish in 1846 by Philip St. George Cocke, master of Powhatan County’s great plantation, Belmead. Cocke worked with Thomas Ludwell Hobson of Brooklyn (Powhatan Co.) in having the bricks made at both Belmead and Brooklyn. Cocke’s use of the prominent architect Alexander Jackson Davis for the design of Belmead has led to speculation that Davis may also have designed Emmanuel Church. Though in the Gothic Revival style for which Davis is noted, the church was probably designed by Cocke himself. Whoever was responsible, the architecture has attracted many admirers. Bishop John Johns, who consecrated Emmanuel in 1847, wrote that it was “highly credible to the good taste and liberality of those by whom it has been erected.”


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated August 9, 2018