For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 01/21/1975
NRHP Listing Date 03/20/1980
NRHP Reference Number 80004218
The compact plantation house of Indian Banks stands on land in Richmond County patented by Thomas Glascock in 1652. Traditionally dated to 1699, Indian Banks may have been built in 1728 for Capt. William Glascock and his wife, Esther Ball, second cousin of George Washington. Indian Banks is on the site of an Indian village visited by Capt. John Smith in 1608. With its diminished proportions, tall hipped roof, and comparatively large windows, the L-shaped house has a distinctly English flavor, one more Queen Anne than Georgian. The scrolled soffit of the jack arch above the main entrance, a common feature in England, is one of only two known Virginia examples. Much of the original interior woodwork disappeared, but a closed-string stair with turned balusters, a second-floor fireplace surround, several doors, and window frames with paneled window seats survive from the original construction. A one-story colonial-style wing was added to Indian Banks in 1975.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: March 10, 2022