The Joseph Deyerle House, Pleasant Grove, was the heart of an antebellum farm located on the Roanoke River, a few miles west of Salem on the north side of the Great Valley Road in Roanoke County. The brick Greek Revival house and several dependencies survive in remarkably good condition and constitute one of the most intact examples of historic domestic architecture in the Roanoke Valley. Pleasant Grove is significant for architecture and agriculture because of the contributions of Joseph Deyerle (1799–1877) and his son James Crawford Deyerle (1825–1897) to the fields of architecture and building in southwestern Virginia, and because of Joseph Deyerle’s success and prominence as a farmer. The Deyerles built Pleasant Grove after fulfilling a contract for the brickwork of the Main Building at Roanoke College in Salem in 1847.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark