Marlbrook, originally known as Cherry Hill, is located about three miles east of Natural Bridge in rural Rockbridge County amid rolling pasturelands, with a late-18th century, Georgian-style, two-story brick house as its centerpiece. A brick wing bears an inscribed 1804 date; the opposite wing was erected in the 1840s. The house is one of the earliest brick edifices in western Virginia. The interior is based on a center-passage plan with a wide stairhall, finished with random-width pine flooring, painted plaster walls and ceilings, varnished walnut tongue-and-groove partition walls, classical Georgian mantels and paneled chimney facings, and painted wood trim at the staircase, door and window openings, baseboards, and chair rails. Marlbrook was originally the home of the David Greenlee family, including his mother, Mary McDowell Greenlee, an early pioneer settler of the area.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark