The Falling Spring Presbyterian Church Manse was built 1856-57 by the church congregation for the Rev. William Finney Junkin. The Falling Spring church, organized in 1747, is among the most historically and architecturally significant churches still standing in the county. The manse, long associated with the church and the area’s religious history, is a fine example of early Gothic Revival domestic architecture. The design of the house was selected from a pattern book, Cottage Residences, by the influential mid-19th-century American architect A. J. Downing. The manse’s interior hall features an unusual applied decorative wood arch, with a central turned pendant possibly intended for holding a gas lamp. In the 1970s, the house was sold to a private owner.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark