John Moore House sits on a slight rise overlooking a small, spring-fed pond and stone springhouse near the hamlet of Denmark. An archaeological site to the northeast of the house represents the remains of an earlier dwelling. The house was the seat of the early-19th-century farm of John and Betsy Moore. The property’s primary resource, a two-story, three-bay, brick, Federal-style farmhouse built in 1831, incorporates refined woodwork that draws from Federal precedents and folk traditions. The John Moore House, a well-preserved example of domestic architecture, demonstrates a personal interpretation of the Federal style, as built for a prosperous Rockbridge County farm family of the time.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark